Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Goggle Maps for PalmOS

Ralph Grabowski pointed me to Google Maps for PalmOS. I downloaded and installed it and it is way cool - at least a great toy. It works much like Google Maps on the desktop, allowing me to zoom and pan interactively, filling in the mosaic as I go. I think it's really meant for cell phone connectivity rather than wifi connectivity, which is what I've got, so that you can use it when you're on the road. I'm wondering if the application might the the basis for a fully AJAX enabled Google PalmOS browser.

That would be good and would hopefully address my current objection, which is that the application doesn't expose urls at all. Since urls are the universal currency of the web, that's a serious deficiency in my eyes. I'd like to be able to do what I frequently do with desktop Gmaps: bookmark a particular map view in del.icio.us. So far as I can tell, that's not possible with the current implementation.

This reminds of another Gmaps problems: in Maine, at least, maps.live.com has much better high resolution coverage than Google.

No comments: